Here are my answers to 15 questions that prompt gratitude, an exercise I needed to do. Not because I am ungrateful, but because when Satan pins me down it's difficult to put into practice the seeing of (unless I pray the Lord lifts the scales from my eyes) the goodness that abounds.
1. Who do I appreciate? The person I most appreciate right now is my husband, Shawn. He is the glue in our family as I currently process and heal through some difficult things. He's also giving me grace and space as I pray through some upcoming decisions.
2. How am I fortunate? What a question! I am most fortunate because at an early age I learned what it meant to be cleansed by the blood of Christ. Additionally, I'm fortunate to live in a quaint home with running water, to have an intact marriage, to have healthy, thriving children, and to have an incredible network of supportive friends.
3. What material possessions am I thankful for? our vehicles, the dishwasher, running water, phone, hot rollers
5. What about my surroundings (home/neighborhood/city/etc.) am I thankful for? I'm thankful we live in a safe neighborhood in a warm, brick home. I'm thankful we live in a city that (after years of searching) has just the church Body our family has needed. And I'm thankful to live in a country where we are not penalized for gathering in worship.
7. What happened today/yesterday/this week/this month/this year that I am grateful for?
Today: I am grateful for hugs/support from a forever friend
Yesterday: I am grateful Shawn gave me the opportunity to go to the gym
This week: I am grateful for the upcoming holiday
This year: I am thankful the Lord has stood by my side, unfaltering
8. What opportunities do I have that I am thankful for? The opportunity to have a voice on the internet, the opportunity to see my children's milestones, the opportunity to create, the opportunity to love the Lord and others.
9. What have others in my life done that I am thankful for? This is the one that makes me want to cry. I am extroverted by nature and am thus fueled by healthy interactions with people. Lately I have had friends encourage, pray, provide scripture, call, text, give gifts, give their time, watch my kids, and support me in general as I process life.
10. What have others done that I am benefiting from in my life (even if I don't know who those people are)? All the people who have prayed for me. The angels in heaven who rejoiced over me when I was born.
11. What relationships am I thankful for? every single one, the good, the bad, the closer, the drifting.
13. What is there about the challenges/difficulties I have experienced (or am currently experiencing) that I can be thankful for? (e.g., What have I learned? How have I grown?) The overarching thing to be thankful for is that even though my heart and self have struggled all over the place the past few months, my foundation in Christ is formidable against Satan's darts.
14. What is different today than it was a year ago that I'm thankful for? That I am figuring out some things about my personal version of happiness and that it's okay to have a different version from other women.
15. What insights have I gained that I am grateful for? That it's okay to have itty bitty fences of protection up; the stories & secrets of the human heart--your heart--are meant for a certain precious few to behold.
Text-heavy posts can be tedious for readers but I pray you've enjoyed this and have been encouraged!